thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

thinkingmoreaboutit

Beth does indeed have a valid point. You know, some of my most vivid memories from childhood involve being "put in my place," "smacked down," and told not to be so ... so ME. My natural ebullience was frowned upon in a country where putting others first at all times is de rigueur. So I spent a lot of time fearful that the bouncy me might bulge out. The bouncy, creative, full-of-life me. Beth - you are spot on. Aye, there's the rub.

Still, it's worth the effort, I think. My new project involves a stream of consciousness reflection on my life today. I sometimes think that stream of consciousness is a copout, but if by using that technique I can slip under the censor, then I shall happily cop out. The more freely the writing flows, the more freely the ideas will follow. At least that's the plan. I am writing the piece in my head as I stroll around the block with my canine companion night and morning. Talking of whom, it's that time again. Arf, arf, my friends. I am off to stream again, accompanied by the ever-faithful Miss Zelda.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, which is mightily appreciated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

I am in complete agreement with you about stream-of-consciousness. I use it to slip past the censor, too. Then I do the real work of making the writing engaging and readable. I agree that it's a cop out when promoted as a final product. As a method to use in the early stages, though, it is without parallel. (I used to lose my patience with so-called "automatic" or "experimental" writing when I was a college student. Maybe some people do enjoy that and think it's valid, but I don't enjoy it as a final product. I do love seeing my students produce it in the early stages, however, and talking to them about ways to shape the work.)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I'm with Theresa here. Stream of consciousness writing is a starting point, not a stopping point, but nothing is as freeing for a first draft.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home