thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Every Picture Has a Story

Beth (http://bethsfrontporch.blogspot.com/ - sorry I have to learn html stuff!) wrote about her picture, and it made me think I want to write about mine.Some 18 months ago, an acquaintance in her thirties was having a lot of success using a matchmaking agency. She was introduced to a lot of different men, all of whom sounded very eligible, and she was having a good time. She wanted to get married and have children, and the ladies who ran the agency were very optimistic and seemed to have a large number of people on their books. I was lonely for the company of a partner, and the on-line dating services were not proving helpful, so I screwed up my courage and went in to talk to the mother and daughter team who ran the agency. My acquaintance is tall and slim , with a sizable poitrine, shall we say. I am older than she, and definitely heavier. Which the mother in the team sweetly pointed out. Thanks. Still, she was very encouraging and said she would have lots of men for me to meet. In return for what to me was a great deal of money, she promised to introduce me to a minimum of three men. I was also required to have my picture taken for their books, not that I ever got to look through the photos of the men. I thought about it, and thought about it, and thought about it. Eventually, I agreed. I reasoned that it meant a great deal to me to find a new life partner, and it was worth it to me to purchase professional help. I put the fee on a credit card and signed up.

I could go on for pages about the disastrous experiences I had with these two individuals. Suffice it to say, it was a complete washout. It was sickening.

So, this is one of the two photos I had taken for their album. I have no idea where the other one went. The photography session was quite fun, I have to say. The photographer was celebrating his 50th birthday that night - his wife was throwing him a huge party - and an old friend had come into town to help with the celebrations, and he was hanging out at the studio for the day. I enjoyed myself with both of them, getting more attention from those two guys than I did from the entire "stable" of people supposedly on the books of the two women who took my money.

Poorer and wiser, I have moved on. The photo remains as a reminder of my folly.

9 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Folly? Oh, I don't know about that! It's a great picture and a great story. Certainly whets the appetite for more. Will you be sharing more of what happened? You could write a story called: "Every Picture Has a Story." Catchy, that!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

It's a wonderful picture, though you don't look like I expected. I can't say exactly what I did expect. One of the things I love about it is that it looks as though you're having a good time, and your story backs that up.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Well, as I said to Beth, neither of you looks remotely like I thought you did. And now -- how odd! -- now that I have seen your photos, I can't really remember what I DID think you looked like.

Anyway, it's a great photo -- full of the zest of an attractive woman at a turning point in life.

5:46 AM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

I like the photo and I look forward to more of the story if you choose to share it. "Wish you all the best and just enough of the worst to make a good story," I like to say.

10:40 PM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

I enjoyed your post, Vicky. I must tell you I used my photo on match.com because it's appropriately fuzzy; I didn't want to be immediately recognizable from the pic. So that's where I got comments like "very cute" and "can't resist your smile." Sheesh. Also shows how superficial these things are! Anyway, the background behind your picture didn't sound like folly to me, but just part of the journey....I very much look forward to reading more! ~Beth

4:23 AM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

Holy cow, Vicky, if you had to learn html to make a link in blogger (you don't) I'd never have gotten my last entry written! Send an email if you can't figure it out, okay?

I really like your new space here, and I love this post. Like Beth, you've put yourself out there with the pic, but it's still the prose that matters. You, and Beth, are great writers. And beautiful women!

Ain't we all?? (And ain't it cool?)

6:41 AM  
Blogger Erin Berger Guendelsberger said...

Vicky--I enjoyed reading your post! You're a natural story-teller. Even in a blog post, that comes through loud and clear. Looking forward to hearing more!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Christina K Brown said...

I come from beautiful stock...my mother is just stunning.

Me? Not so much.

But I have made peace with my body and this in itself drives her insane.

I love your story. I have to remember that we need to to be able to love ourselves, even if we go blind. (I don't mean like that either.)

Great post.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

PS: How's comes we is always wiser after which time we is become poorer? :-)

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home