thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Friday, March 03, 2006

Baby Rats

Why is it that phrases and sentences sound so much better in your head than they do on the page? I walk around the block with my dog, and the perfect phrase, the poetic thought creeps into my consciousness. I return home and write, and then there lie the words on a sprawling white tundra of a page. Naked and hairless as baby rats, capable of only a mother’s love. And quite often this mother rat ain’t so loving of her mewling offspring.

Boy oh boy, there they go again, metaphor tumbling over metaphor. In a hurry scurry to pour out of this wordsmith’s fingertips onto the bald steppes. To be swallowed up in the unforgiving desert. Or picked off by that hovering bird of prey, my editing eye.

I thought of a lovely phrase as I walked round the block just now, chilled by the cold, pulled hither and thither by the inquisitive dog. But I shan’t share it just yet. I need to clothe it to keep it warm and safe. I am hugging it to my breast until tomorrow. Who knows, it may have grown wings by then, and be able to fly solo.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

You know that I don't do well with suspense, right?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Fly on over to My Incentive (http://vxv789.livejournal.com/) and see it embedded in there, Gannet Girl,

Vicky

10:42 PM  
Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

Humorous way to look at it. This happens to me all the time.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Totally dense and not getting it.

3:35 PM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

Vicky, I love the images you use. Words are like live creatures, aren't they? I do so like thinkingaboutit! I haven't had a thought today that was any longer than a pin drop. I need to graduate to baby rats. I have hard kernels of corn that can't germinate. Your comments in my blog are always so kind. Thank you! ~Beth

4:55 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Robin - the phrase I thought of was "days pass like whispers" and it's in my latest piece in "My Incentive" - uncomfortably so, but oh well,

Vicky

9:16 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

It all just takes time. Eventually, you'll think up something to keep those baby rats company!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Erin Berger Guendelsberger said...

Vicky, this happens to me all of the time, too! It's sort of like when you have a really amazing dream but when you try to describe the dream to a friend, it comes out sounding nonsensical or, worse yet, boring! And in your heart and mind, you know it was the most astounding experience. "Days pass like whispers." Sounds like a great start to something lovely ...

5:56 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Well, I thought it must be "days pass like whispers," and then I thought, no, I am just not getting something. Now I will go back and reread.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home