thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Thursday, May 11, 2006

FRUIT

I used to think that bananas
Were my favorite fruit
Firm and sweet and thick-tasting on my tongue
Turning from sour to delectable in a ripening heartbeat
They satisfy me at breakfast

And I love a crisp sweet apple
Fujis are the best
Round and hard
Splitting cleanly at pressure from my incisors
Virgin cider running down my palm as I bite into one at lunch

But now I know
My favorite fruit is
The MANGO
Sensuous, flowing with golden juices
Fleshy and perfumed
Clinging stubbornly to the rough unyielding pit at its core
Playing hard to get
But ultimately sliding into my open mouth
Lodging tenacious fibers between my tightly set teeth
After dinner
A woman’s fruit for sure

I think maybe Eve could have done better

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin Berger Guendelsberger said...

This is beautiful, Vicky! What great imagery! (Although I still like bananas best. :-))

6:29 AM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

I loved this! Luscious and sensuous with a wry sense of humor. I'm still smiling. ~Beth

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brought to mind a novel I read last summer, Mango Season, set in India. The plot is a little belabored, but besides the namesake fruit it also has a clincher of an ending! So clever.
As far as apples go, I go for Gala. However, in general I can't pick a favorite fruit. There are way too many.
*debbi*

4:59 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Seinfeld fan? It was the mango that brought George's willy back from the dead.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

It was?? Well, then George is a smarter man than I gave him credit for!!

;)

7:56 PM  
Blogger V said...

V, that`s a beauty. "Virgin cider"....Perfect!
the other V

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, "a woman's fruit for sure." Nice images, Vicky. Fun to read and very sensuous.

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home