thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

It's What She Did

She was a woman of habit. And one of the most pervasive of her habits was to cry at the slightest provocation. Tears sprang readily to her eyes on the most benign of occasions, but in reality, it was the stimuli piquing her vulnerability that provoked the strongest flow. Often she was unable to explain readily the cause of the welling in her eyes. It was just there, along with the catch in her throat, and the sense of loss and being lost. It was only after a good deal of practice that she was able to apply any kind of analysis to a situation and thereby attempt a rough understanding. The gradual comprehension of why she was crying would bring a cognitive relief, but the emotion usually remained, and tears would often continue to seep unstaunched from her reluctant eyes.

“Why am I crying? It’s what I do,” she would offer as a flip explanation. An attempt at a throwaway laugh would be followed by a sob.

It’s what she did. It’s what she was.

7 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

I just love to see you writing things like this, Vicky. It's what you are meant to do.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Thank you, Theresa. This just flowed out late last night (late by MY standards, not yours!) and I was determined to get it out and get it right before I went to bed. So I wrote and edited and edited. I missed some sleep, but it was worth it!

Love, Vicky

5:33 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Oh I know what you mean. I have done that so many times. And, yes, it was definitely worth it. It's a beautifully constructed piece. Keep doing this.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

This is just so beautiful.

11:24 PM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

I loved this piece. I want to know more, read more, and yet it is beautiful in and of itself, complete. Says so much. I thank you for writing. it. Beth

3:40 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Oh, this is great -- you're back at work! After days of checking, and then missing a few, I see you've finally provided stuff to read! Yippee!

5:05 PM  
Blogger V said...

Aww, Vicky! And I see you are goin` forward!
V

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home