thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Thursday, March 09, 2006

In the Event of a Fire

I've been in a fire. I was just ten years old - and here comes the hysterectomy theme again. The family had moved up to Edinburgh from the north of England in August 1964 (ok, now you have figured out how old I am, sigh), and in November, my mother had a hysterectomy. To help her recuperate, my father took us all up to a hotel in a small place called Blair Atholl, in the foothills of the Highlands over the New Year. It was cold and snowy. We sledded and played in the snow. On the night of January 1, 1965, the hotel burned to the ground. The chef had left a smoldering cigarette end in his pocket. My father and another guest (it was a small family hotel), unsure of whether or not the chef was still in his room when the fire started, broke the door down to get him out if necessary. He wasn't there. The onrush of air was enough to feed the fire into a raging blaze. I remember standing outside the hotel, a thick coat over my striped pajamas, watching brilliant orange flames soaring and flickering against the velvet Scottish night. It is a memory of beauty that I have carried with me ever since.

The chef had his life's savings in cash in his room.

He lost it all.

Beth
and Erin have both written about what to take in the event of a fire and your loved ones are safe. I remember thinking for hours about a real conundrum when I was little. The problem stayed with me for years. I am one of four children of an intact marriage. Five people other than me. In the event of a fire, who would I save first? It bothered me enormously.

Recently, I downsized from a three-bedroom house, garage, and back yard to a one-bedroom condo, no garage and no back yard. Before that, I was in a slightly bigger house, and before that, I was in a MUCH bigger house, with a pool and storage space and, well, you get my drift. Divorce will do that to you. Over the past eleven years, I have downsized considerably, paring, paring, paring, until all I have left of the boys' childhoods is one box. One box, a set of photo albums, and photos on the walls. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. But really what I have learned in all this downsizing and paring and wholesale throwing-out-of-stuff is just what Erin said - it is just stuff. I have my memories, and I have my boys (ok, guys, sorry, young men). And I have my dog. I would save some family memory stuff from my grandmother's time, (a ring, a ration card, a photo of my grandfather's plane in World War 1) and I would grab some baby pictures of the boys. And my flash drive, because it has all the reports I have written in the last three years at work, and when I re-do them (I have to re-do the evaluations every three years) I can just lift a lot of background stuff from what I have already done. Ever practical. Oh, and I have some very old copies of the Times of London, some dating back to 1868. I would grab those too.

All right, altogether too much grabbing.

Pictures of my sons as kids. Period. And my back copies of The Sun. And...

Never mind.

5 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Destruction = beauty. Wow! Beautifully described! This is great writing, Vicky,

9:37 PM  
Blogger ggw07 said...

I agree- Marvelous stuff-
"Beauty plus pity—that is the closest we can get to a definition of art. Where there is beauty there is pity for the simple reason that beauty must die: beauty always dies, the manner dies with the matter, the world dies with the individual."
Vladmir Nabokov
I would grab the pictures too.
Gretchen

11:39 PM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

Vicky, I want to respond to so many things in your blog I don't know where to begin. The beauty/dreamlike state of the fire, the concept of downsizing and loss...resonating through our lives! Thank you for sharing. ~ Beth

5:45 AM  
Blogger Erin Berger Guendelsberger said...

Beautiful entry, Vicky! I was especially touched by your comment concerning your childhood question--which family member would you save first? I am also from an intact family of 6, and I remember one summer taking part in a Baptist Bible School in which they preached to us about being saved. I had nighmares about my family going to Hell, and sometimes I imagined I had the ability to save one or two of them, and I would beat myself up thinking--who would I save?

9:02 AM  
Blogger Ann Marie said...

I have to agree with Beth ... you've drawn a visual work of art. You have a very rich life. I found myself wondering if the little girl had felt safety in her father's heroism, and in that all of his were safe. God bless the man and his honeys. Heck with the money and even images. You and family (pets included) are the only things truely worth saving! You'd have to say with each of your transitions, here I am more perfect of a soul holding the fineness of life's trials and glories. I have an image that the perfect life ends living in a small hovel with a garden outside the door. :)

xoxoxo
Ayn

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home