thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Eleven Years Ago Tomorrow

Eleven years ago tomorrow, I walked into a therapist’s office for the first time. I nearly left before my appointment time, fearful and unengaged. I told him as much as he showed me into his office, the one with the wide view of a cloud-filled skyline. “I’m glad you didn’t,” he said.

Tomorrow, I shall be working with a troubled fifteen-year-old boy. I shall be writing reports. I shall be working with a group of dedicated and dear colleagues. Who knew, eleven years go?

It’s been a long, hard road, and I know in my mind that I have labored for all that I am and all that I have now. For all that there is to come, and the new experiences that await me. In my heart, I continue to question and doubt from time to time, so the labor goes on.

But most of all, I have learned so very much. I have learned that I can take care of myself. I have learned, by and large, who I am, though there is more revealing self-discovery to come. I have learned to release the pent-up warmth and desire to connect with others that were trapped within. I have learned to live.

And I have remembered that I love to write.

5 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Excellent. You have come a long way. The best is yet to come.

10:19 PM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

"I have learned to live." What a powerful entry and a powerful statement. Inspiring. Thank you for sharing your journey. Beth

3:36 AM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

Cool beans, girlfriend.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Erin Berger Guendelsberger said...

Vicky,

Thanks for sharing. What fabulous lessons to learn!

Erin

1:42 PM  
Blogger V said...

You`ve learned a lot, the important things.
V

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home