thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Friday, April 14, 2006

Klimt comes to America



"I have the gift of neither the spoken nor the written word, especially if I have to say something about myself or my work. Whoever wants to know something about me -as an artist, the only notable thing- ought to look carefully at my pictures and try and see in them what I am and what I want to do." Gustav Klimt

Today I visited the five re-claimed paintings of Gustav Klimt. I was bowled over by the famous and sumptuous portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer. Golden textured work, rich and symbolic. But my favorite was the deep, secretive, and mystical "Beech Woods" I am showing here. As I looked, more and more of the painting miraculously revealed itself to me. This is a masterpiece that drew me in and in, and yet further in.

I hear the paintings may be sold. Oh, how I want this one!! The texture of his work is such that a reproduction just won't do.

What a treat this was. What a glimpse into genius and mystery and the gifts of the earth.

6 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Vicky, where did you see the paintings?! I can imagine that was a treat, indeed! I haven't been to an art gallery for a couple of years, since we were at the Toledo Gallery. I haven't been to the Detroit Gallery in several years. I should go again. I also need to go to the museum in Chicago. I've never been! We were in Chicago for the AWP writing conference a couple of years ago, but there was no time for museums. I envy you!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

A treat indeed. I love the quotation. It's just my feeling that artists should be known by their work. It's often the best the person has to offer. I know that people try to understand art within the context of a person's life and personality, but I feel that the opposite is often the truer approach.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

The rightful owner of the paintings, who has just retrieved them, lives here, and has allowed LA County Museum of Art to hang them until the summer. It is ages since I have been there, but this visit was a must!

9:17 PM  
Blogger V said...

Wow, Vicky. I read they were coming. Lucky you!
V

2:21 AM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

I even love the quote. Your description is lovely. Art carries me somewhere else...somewhere that feels holy. I'm so happy YOU are back!! Beth

5:08 AM  
Blogger V said...

er, I should say....Wow! V.....
V

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home