thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Today I Was Assaulted

1. Assault: Law.
a. An unlawful threat or attempt to do bodily injury to another.
b. The act or an instance of unlawfully threatening or attempting to injure another.

Today I was assaulted.

I sat across a table from a man who stared at me with a threat to do me bodily injury in his eyes. I knew it. I could feel it. And I need to write my fear out of my system.

My job entails promoting the mental health and academic advancement of children. Helping those kids realize their potential is what drives me in my work. Everything I do is predicated on their best interest. Yet I am frequently seen as a representative of a monolithic system whose apparent purpose (in the eyes of some) is to tear those children down and reduce them to numbers. In their view, my every word and action has nothing to do with the kids, and everything to do with preserving the bureaucracy.

That’s bullshit.

But that is how I am viewed.

This morning, a man arrived at a meeting with plans that he thought would help his stepdaughter. I and my colleagues believed that those plans would have caused her positive harm. I tried explaining that to him gently, and making suggestions that would support her in other ways. Those included having her parents change the way they work with her. He clearly disagreed. And he was very, very angry. Yet he was silent as I addressed the child’s mother and biological father. Instead, he glared.

For over fifteen minutes, his eyes bored into me. I attempted not to look at him, but every time I glanced in his direction, he was staring at me, with clear aggression on his face. In his mind, he was beating me. I could feel it. I felt as though had we been alone, he would have reached across the table and grabbed me by the throat and hit me.

I have problems with “male anger.” I can’t cope with it well. It disarms me and makes me feel powerless. Nevertheless, I have never, before today, felt that my physical safety was compromised by a man’s anger.

It’s left me feeling shaken and still very frightened. I have dealt with many, many parents who have been upset or defensive, but this is the first time that I have been physically frightened. I trust my instinct. I know he wanted to hurt me. And in all my years on this earth, I have never had that sensation. I guess I have been lucky, until today.

I went away after the meeting and debriefed with a colleague. I wept some. And I wept some more tonight as I related the incident to my friend. I thought the feeling had faded, but it remains. I still feel brutalized. Today I was assaulted.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

I am so sorry that this happened, and you're right. You were assaulted. Trust those danger signals, and if you have to meet with that man again, try to have another staff member present. Cry more if you need it. Physical danger does lurk, and most of the time, we just don't feel its presence. That makes the realization of it a bigger shock than it otherwise would be. Take care, my dear.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is horrendous and I'm so glad you had a colleague, a friend, and a journal to lean on afterward. Perhaps you should mention it to an administrator or the school counselor, especially if the stepdaughter will still be at your school next year and other teachers might encounter this awful person in the future. I'm sure it will take more than one evening to get over this! I, too, have conferenced with parents who have absolutely no respect for us, but it strikes me that his anger issues have nothing to do with teachers (and certainly not you personally)--could be the mom or bio dad, or a myriad of other mental issues. It is an absolute crime you had to endure this. Continue talking, crying, writing, and whatever else it takes to get this poison out.
Thinking of you,
Debbi

4:10 PM  
Blogger V said...

Aww, V. I wish I had been feeling well enough to comment before you left for England.

With most people like this man, the issue is control. He was threatened by you and his inability to take rein of the situation. It would seem as if he has had success before in these situations, perhaps through brow-beating or intimidation. It seems clear that he was intimidated by you and the situation; the only recourse left to him was to try to instill fear.

Believe me, you were right in trusting your instincts, this sounds like a scary guy, either paranoid or anti-social or just plain Inadequate. I spent my clinical internship working in the PA State Forensic Hospital in Holmesburg Prison, met some evil humans.

Did your colleagues talk about counter-transference? I eventually learned that when I had feelings such as you experienced it was very helpful to me to objectify those feelings of mine and to understand why the other was trying to instill those feelings in me.......usually an issue of control.

Let me know if you`d like to talk about this.

By the way, when I said this guy sounded scary, I didn`t mean that you should be worried about him attempting to harm you in the future.

Hugs,
( V )

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. antivirus macintosh free Free erotic mature story Saltwater fishing wallpaper Hrci sphr test fees tax deductible Office stationery manufacturer Bextra alert internet error Iui with clomid and hcg review virus scanner hot blonde twin lesbians big boobs breitling watches advertised in golf digest Meridia reductil depression Domaine de chauron Win anti virus pro 2005 topamax+weight+loss Zyban+amf+birth+control+pill

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Acne blue by light treatment virus scanner norton Black+jack+portal Picuture of a yellow jacket phendimetrazine online anti virus performance comparions scan computer virus online Creditcard uk 26p xxxxx Movado watch 70's baccarat glass neiman marcus serpent sew a cover for a window seat

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home