thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Wind, One Brilliant Day

I have been listening to readings by a wonderful British poet called David Whyte, who now lives in the Pacific Northwest. One poem he quotes in a talk about “Poetry in the Imagination” is by Antonio Machado:


The Wind, One Brilliant Day


The wind, one brilliant day, called
to my soul with an odor of jasmine.

"In return for the odor of my jasmine,
I'd like all the odor of your roses."

"I have no roses; all the flowers
in my garden are dead."

"Well then, I'll take the withered petals
and the yellow leaves and the waters of the fountain."

the wind left. And I wept. And I said to myself:
"What have you done with the garden that was entrusted to you?
"


Translated by Robert Bly


This beautiful poem is a call to me to tend to my garden. No more excuses. None. Time to nurture my flowers.

6 Comments:

Blogger pilgrimchick said...

I like the metaphor of the garden here because it can extend to include any and all gifts you have--anything that you have been given to nurture and share. It's a great philosophy with lovely imagry.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

That is a beautiful and powerful reminder. In fact, it's hitting rather close to home tonight.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And it can be extended to our entire garden--our Earth.
*debbi*

8:15 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

Lovely entry, Vicky.

8:16 AM  
Blogger V said...

Depression and inertia are mind killers.
V

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Tricks buy oxycontin online no prescription olympic games internet marketing http://www.300c-chrysler.info oral surgery recipes Buy modafinil online in canada Free breast enlargement surgery

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home