thinkingaboutit

Thoughts from time to time, loosely linked to writing and/or the arts. A place to connect with like-minded folks.

Name:
Location: Southern California, United States

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Oops

So I took yet ANOTHER tumble yesterday, not a week after I was finally discharged by the doctor after breaking both wrists in the spring. Gee whiz, what a klutz! Last time, I was hurrying and caught the tip of my boot on a step as I was running up to make a child abuse report. This time, I was just plain hurrying back to my office after dealing with a couple of emergencies at school, and I slipped on a piece of apple peel. Whap, I went down hard, cracking my head against a concrete pillar. I hasten (like I did when I fell) to add that I am fine, but it left a big egg on the back of my head, and I had to go for a CT-scan. The biggest damage was to my pride, for I am really embarrassed after having done it before, and so recently to boot. When I went back to work today, everyone knew about it. And everyone had something to say.

It's interesting to observe how one suddenly becomes the center of attention when one is seen to be hurt or in need of sympathy. How people react to such a situation. Some laugh and crack jokes, others express concern, and yet others tell you about similar experiences they have had. And all the while, in my experience (which is growing mightily), the recipient of all the attention is squirming with embarrassment. For me, on one hand, it is kinda nice when people express an interest in me, but on the other, I really don't like to be viewed as in need of anything. That's not how I was raised. I was raised not to draw attention to myself. So I guess I had better watch my footing, huh?

5 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

I'm glad you're not seriously hurt. I hate falling, even though I do it quite often. The attention it brings is extremely uncomfortable, and I can only make it into a joke so much.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Erin Berger Guendelsberger said...

I'm happy to hear that you weren't hurt badly! I'm always bumping and bruising myself, too--especially when I'm in a hurry or right after I wake up in the morning.

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

It's so nice to see you back! Don't let one tumble keep you away again ~

8:29 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Chevy Chase turned this into a lucrative career. The important thing is to get back up again.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home